The first thing you can do to fix the leather in basketball shoes is to use a shoe conditioner. This will help to soften the leather and make it more pliable. You can also use shoe polish to help protect the leather from dirt and moisture.
You may need to use a leather repair kit if the leather is already damaged. This will help to patch up any holes or cracks in the leather. Once the repair kit has been used, you will need to apply a new layer of conditioner or polish to the area.
If your shoes are made of suede, you will need to be careful when cleaning them. The suedes are very delicate and can be easily damaged.
How To Restore Basketball Shoes?
It’s easy to restore Basketball shoes to like-new condition with a little bit of time and effort. Here’s how:
Cleaning & Repairing:
Basketball shoes are subject to a lot of wear and tear. The leather on the shoes can become cracked and dry, which can cause the shoes to lose their shape and stability. Here are some tips on how to clean and repair the leather on basketball shoes:
- Clean the shoes with a damp cloth or brush to remove any dirt or debris.
- Apply a leather conditioner to the shoes with a soft cloth. This will help restore the leather’s moisture and keep it from cracking further.
- Use shoe polish or cream to buff out any scuffs or scratches in the leather. This will also help to protect the leather from future wear and tear.
- Store the shoes in a cool, dry place when not in use. This will help to extend their life span.
The heel helps support your foot and provides stability when you are running and jumping. If the heel on your basketball shoe starts to wear down, it can cause problems with your game. Heel capping is a process where you add a layer of material to the bottom of the heel to extend its life.
Heel capping can be done at home with a few supplies. You will need some leather or fabric, scissors, glue, and something to press the fabric onto the heel (such as a wooden dowel).
- Cut a piece of leather or fabric slightly larger than the area you need to cover on the heel.
- Next, apply glue to the back of the piece of leather or fabric. Make sure to only apply glue on the area where it will go onto the shoe.
- Once you have done this, apply pressure to the glued area with a wooden dowel.
- Finally, cut off any excess material that is not under the shoe after everything is dry.
One way to extend the life of your shoes is to screw in metal plates. You can find these at any hardware store, which will help keep the leather from wearing down. Just be sure to put them in the right place, so they don’t rub against your feet or cause discomfort.
In conclusion, following these steps on how to fix the leather in basketball shoes can help prolong the life of your shoes. With a little time and effort, your shoes look and feel like new again.
Clyde Jackson III is a basketball coach and the founder of GCBC Basketball, a basketball-related learning and informational website that focuses on helping young players develop their skills on and off the court. With over 15 years of coaching experience, Clyde has worked with players of all ages and skill levels, from beginners to professionals.