Basketball shorts are typically long and baggy, reaching down to the knees or even lower. There are a few reasons for this.
- Long, baggy shorts provide more coverage than shorter shorts. This can benefit players who do not want to show too much skin while playing.
- Long shorts can help protect the legs from scrapes and scratches that may occur during a game.
- Another reason why basketball shorts may be long and baggy is to allow more freedom of movement. Tight-fitting shorts can restrict a player’s movement, making it difficult to run or jump. On the other hand, NBA baggy shorts do not constrict movement and allow players to move more freely.
Who Started Long Shorts In Basketball?
Michael Jordan is considered a trendsetter. In the early 1990s, he popularized the now-iconic look of long shorts that extend past the knee. Many people were skeptical of this style choice at the time, but Jordan made it work.
Today, long shorts are commonplace in basketball and a practical choice for players.
Why Did Jordan Start Wearing Long Shorts?
In the early 1980s, most basketball players wore short shorts. Michael Jordan, however, opted for longer, baggier shorts that came down to his knees. Some people speculated that he did this to hide his large thighs, but Jordan claimed it was because he felt more comfortable in them. It was a lucky choice for Jordan, as it helped him avoid a serious injury during the 1983 NCAA national championship game.
Why Did The Fab Five Wear Baggy Shorts?
The five college athletes from Michigan University, who have later nicknamed the Fab Five, popularized the trend of wearing baggy shorts in the early 1990s. Their preference for baggy shorts is numerous, but this one stands out above the rest. Basketball Baggy shorts allowed the players to show off their “street style” and unique fashion sense.
While some people may have thought the Fab Five’s style was a bit too flashy or unprofessional, there’s no denying that they helped change the way college basketball was played.
When Did Basketball Shorts Get Long?
In the 1990s, basketball shorts became longer and baggier. This style was popularized by players like Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen. The trend has continued into the 21st century, with many players wearing shorts extending below the knee.
Why Did They Make Basketball Shorts Longer?
- Basketball is a fast-paced sport that requires a lot of movement. Players need to be able to run, jump, and change direction quickly. Baggy shorts give players the freedom to move without feeling restricted.
- Longer shorts also help to protect players from injuries. When players fall or collide, their skin is more likely to stay covered and protected by the fabric of their shorts. This can help prevent cuts and scrapes on the court.
Why Are Basketball Shorts So Loose?
- Basketball shorts are loose because they are comfortable
- Loose shorts are practical because they don’t get in the way of the game. They can also be stylish, making the player look good on the court.
How Long Are Basketball Shorts?
Most experts agree that basketball shorts should be no shorter than 11 inches in length. This length provides adequate coverage for the player’s legs and also allows for a full range of motion. Shorts that are too short can restrict movement and be uncomfortable to wear.
While there is no definitive answer to how long basketball shorts should be, 11 inches is a good rule of thumb. This length of basketball shorts will keep you comfortable and allow you to move freely on the court.
Do NBA Players Still Wear Baggy Shorts?
Yes! Many players say they prefer the extra fabric because it can help mask any bulges or muscles that might give opponents an advantage.
Are Basketball Shorts Becoming Shorter?
Yes, basketball shorts have become shorter over the years. This is most clearly seen in the NBA, where players now wear shorts that come down to their knees rather than the mid-thigh or lower shorts that were once common.
Can I wear basketball shorts casually?
Yes, basketball shorts can be worn casually. They are a popular choice for casual, athletic, and leisure wear.
Why did Michael Jordan wear baggy shorts?
Michael Jordan wore baggy shorts to have greater freedom of movement and as a personal style preference. He was also known to wear longer shorts to cover his University of North Carolina shorts, which he wore underneath for good luck.
Basketball shorts have become increasingly baggy and long over the years. Some speculate that this trend is due to the influence of hip-hop culture. Others believe that it simply provides more comfort and mobility on the court.
Clyde Jackson III is a basketball coach and the founder of GCBC Basketball, a basketball-related learning and informational website that focuses on helping young players develop their skills on and off the court. With over 15 years of coaching experience, Clyde has worked with players of all ages and skill levels, from beginners to professionals.