Basketball shoes are made to meet the demands of the sport while providing comfort and style. The materials used in construction and the design are essential factors in creating a quality basketball shoe. The manufacturing process begins with the selection of materials and continues to the final product. A well-made basketball shoe will provide years of use and enjoyment.
How Are Basketball Shoes Made?
The Materials Used In Basketball Shoes
Basketball shoes are made from various materials, including leather, synthetic leather, and fabric. The soles are usually made from rubber or synthetic materials. The uppers may be made from materials, including leather, mesh, and synthetics.
Basic Design of Basketball Shoes
The basic design of basketball shoes has not changed much over the years. They typically have a low-cut design that helps players move more quickly and a thick sole that provides extra cushioning.
There have been some notable changes in recent years. For example, many brands now offer shoes with unique features like reinforced toe caps and extra padding around the ankles.
Assemble The Basketball Shoes
Basketball shoes are made up of many parts, all of which must be assembled correctly.
- The first step is to attach the sole to the upper, which can be done by hand or machine.
- Next, the laces are inserted, and the tongue is attached. The shoe is then ready for final inspection before it is shipped to the customer.
Assembling a basketball shoe is relatively simple, but each step must be done carefully to create a quality product. The soles and uppers must be correctly aligned, and all the stitching must be even and firm. If any part of the shoe is not up to par, it will likely be rejected by quality control and returned to be fixed.
What Makes Up A Basketball Shoe?
The shoes have several parts, including the outsole, midsole, and upper.
- Outsole: The outsole is the shoe part that comes into contact with the floor and is usually made from rubber or synthetic material. The outsole must be tough enough to withstand basketball’s constant wear and tear.
- Midsole: The midsole is between the outsole and upper and is typically made from foam or other cushioning materials. The midsole provides support for the foot and helps absorb impact when playing.
- Upper Part: The shoe’s upper part covers the foot and ankle. It is usually made from a breathable mesh material or leather.
What Is The Best Material For Basketball Shoes?
The most popular materials in basketball shoes are leather, synthetic leather, and mesh.
- Leather is the most traditional material used in basketball shoes. It is very durable and provides good support for the foot. However, leather can be heavy and uncomfortable and does not breathe well. This can cause the foot to overheat and sweat during intense play.
- Synthetic leather is a manufactured material that imitates the look and feel of genuine leather. It is lighter than leather and usually more comfortable, but it is not as durable. Synthetic leather also does not breathe as well as real leather, so it can cause the foot to overheat.
- Mesh is a lightweight fabric that allows air to circulate through the foot.
The Requirements To Make A Basketball Shoes
Basketball shoes must be made with specific requirements to perform optimally on the court.
- Traction: They must have good traction to prevent slipping and give the player a good grip on the floor.
- Durability: They must be durable and withstand basketball’s constant wear and tear.
- Comfortability:They must be comfortable and support the player’s feet, ankles and legs.
- Weight: Basketball shoes should be lightweight so players can move around quickly and easily on the court.
Making of Basketball Shoes
1.Preparation of last
The basketball shoes are made in 4 steps. At first, the last model is formed as the completed basketball shoe. The last is some sort of metallic or plastic material. Each size of a basketball shoe requires two endures, one for the left foot and another for the right foot. One last is often used as a diagram for some sets of basketball shoes.
2.Shaping of materials
After producing the last model, the second step is to mold materials such as plastic, rubber, leather, and textiles. These shoes are produced using numerous materials, for example, plastic, elastic, and cowhide.
The Plastic and elastic parts are shaped while the hot materials are spurted into a mold, where they freeze and harden. The Fabric parts are disposed of out of the enormous sheets of material.
3.Lower and upper part construction
The third step is to collect basketball shoes as two parts, the upper and therefore the lower. The top part incorporates the toe, heel, and every single other piece of the shoe that is over the foot. The lower part incorporates the bottom material, insole, and other underneath basic parts of the footwear.
In the preparation of the sole, the plastic pellets are shaped into rolls or bedding utilizing particular gear that applies heat and weight. Then the procedure of blow shaping is done through the embedding of polyurethane material by injection of pressurized gas molecules into the shoe sole.
Additionally, in this stage, various materials are knitted and punched together with comparable openings these get stuck with one another, or glued. Then the rubber linen is vulcanized, warmed, and mounted onto the close by pieces.
4.Lasting of the Top and Lower layers
At last, the top piece of the b-ball shoe is then deliberately extended in the course of the last. This provides it just the shapely form, which makes it comfortable and appealing. The top and lower are then sewed together. At last, extras, decals, and different adornments are attached to make a completed shoe that is good to go for you.
Why do basketball players wear basketball shoes instead of running shoes?
Basketball is an intense sport, and it is kind of typical. The Basketball player needs to play fast, jump high, dribble, do cross over and side to side movements on the court. For this purpose, he needs the right basketball shoe for his feet. Otherwise, the player may get some sort of injury on the court.
The brands design these basketball shoes by keeping in mind the basketball player position, playing style and fit. While the running shoes do not fulfil the basketball player basic requirements, as running shoes cannot provide a basketball player maximum performance on the court. Instead, the running shoes are only made to support the continuous forward movement.
Can basketball shoes be used for running?
Running is the best and oldest form of exercise for human. This exercise helps the runner to make his bones strong and strengthen muscles. Also, this helps in cardiovascular fitness, breathing and heartbeat. So for this purpose, the running shoes are in great demand, and the runner must wear the right shoes.
Wearing the right shoes for running will help you to prevent injury from that repetitive motion. But also the specific shoe will feature cushioning, so you get better impact protection, as well as design features to help move you forward much more relaxed.
We would not recommend running in basketball shoes because of under mentioned reasons.
1. Less padding and stability in a basketball shoe for a continuous run.
2. The outsole of basketball shoes doesn’t work well on trails or sidewalks.so watch out for that.
3. The higher cut of basketball shoes disturbs your running form and slow you down.
4. Basketball shoes are less flexible as running shoes, which may also affect your gait.
Basketball shoes are made using various materials, depending on the brand. The soles are usually made from rubber, while the uppers are made from leather or synthetic materials. The stitching and laces are also crucial in creating a durable basketball shoe.
When choosing a basketball shoe, it is important to consider the material, construction, and design features that will meet your needs. There is no perfect basketball shoe for everyone, but there are many great options on the market.
The basketball shoes are made to protect the feet and ankles during quick side-to-side movements and steep crossovers. Basketball is a sport which requires heavy, stiff and high collar basketball shoes. While the running shoes are much lightweight, flexible, and are only made to support forward movement. This is why a basketball player wears basketball shoe instead of running shoes.
After deep and thorough research, we have come to conclude that If you go for a short run of 2 to 3 miles just once or twice per week, then basketball shoes can be used for running. But If you run three or more times per week for a large distance, and you experience knee, hip or shin pain, then definitely you should buy a new pair of shoes made for running purpose.
However, it also depends on the kind of running; you are doing. If you are only running on a basketball court, then use basketball shoes. However, if you are running on tracks and field or cross country, then invest in a good pair of running shoes. It may help you from getting serious injuries.
Clyde Jackson III is a basketball coach and the founder of GCBC Basketball, a basketball-related learning and informational website that focuses on helping young players develop their skills on and off the court. With over 15 years of coaching experience, Clyde has worked with players of all ages and skill levels, from beginners to professionals.