When washing your basketball shoes, you might be wondering if it’s really necessary. After all, they’re just going to get dirty again. Well, cleaning your shoes regularly can extend their lifespan and keep them looking good as new. Here’s everything you need to know about washing your basketball shoes.
Can Basketball Shoes Be Washed?
Most people believe you cannot wash basketball shoes because they will ruin the material. However, you can wash them, but you have to be careful about how you do it.
How To Wash Basketball Shoes?
It is best to spot clean or hand wash them with mild soap. Here are a few tips on how to wash your shoes:
Firstly, take a look at the care label on your shoes. This will tell you what materials the shoes are made of and how best to clean them. For example, if the shoes are made of leather, you will want to use a different cleaning method than if they are made of mesh.
Once you know what materials your shoes are made of, it’s time to gather your supplies. You will need mild soap or detergent, a shoe brush or toothbrush, and a clean towel.
- Remove the laces and insoles from the shoes.
- Mix a small amount of mild soap, such as dish soap, with water in a bowl.
- Use a soft-bristled brush or cloth to clean the shoes, especially in dirty areas.
- Rinse the shoes with clean water, removing all traces of soap.
- Allow the shoes to air dry completely before wearing or putting them away.
How Do You Dry Wet Basketball Shoes?
When drying out your wet basketball shoes, you can do a few things to speed up the process.
- Blow Dry: If you have access to a blow dryer, point it at the shoes on a low setting and rotate them every few minutes.
- Air Dry: If you don’t have a blow dryer available, set the shoes in front of a fan or open window and let them air dry that way.
- Newspaper Stuffing: You can also stuff the shoes with newspaper to help absorb some of the moisture. Make sure to replace the paper every so often, so it doesn’t get too soggy.
And finally, avoid putting your wet shoes in direct sunlight as this can cause the material to break down and damage the shoes.
How Do You Dry Wet Shoes Without Them Smelling?
If your shoes are wet and you need to dry them quickly, here are a few tips to do so without smelling.
- First, remove the insole and sock liner from the shoe if possible. These can usually be washed separately from the shoe itself.
- Next, stuff the shoes with newspaper to help absorb the moisture. You can also use a shoe tree or boot shapers if you have them.
- Finally, set the shoes in a well-ventilated area out of direct sunlight. A fan can also help speed up the drying process.
Check on your shoes periodically to ensure they’re not getting too much airflow or heat, which can cause them to crack or warp.
Can Basketball Shoes Wash In A Washing Machine?
It is not recommended to wash basketball shoes in a washing machine. The shoes are made of materials that can be damaged by the washing machine, such as the soles and the shoe’s upper part. In addition, the shoes can become misshapen and lose their shape. If you want to wash your basketball shoes, they should be hand washed in cold water.
You can wash your basketball shoes, but you must be careful about what kind of detergent you use. If you use a harsh detergent, it can damage the material of your shoes. You should also avoid putting your shoes in the dryer, as this can cause them to shrink.
Clyde Jackson III is a basketball coach and the founder of GCBC Basketball, a basketball-related learning and informational website that focuses on helping young players develop their skills on and off the court. With over 15 years of coaching experience, Clyde has worked with players of all ages and skill levels, from beginners to professionals.